Quantcast FFmpeg: New ffdshow with Integrated FFvfw - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
Go Back    digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives] > Video Production Forums > Video Encoding and Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

New FFDSHOW released by Athos:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...185#post454185
http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ffdshow-20040304.exe
I just downloaded it a few minutes ago. I uninstalled previous versions of ffdshow and ffvfw and installed this last "integrated" version. It works pretty well in graphedit.
Observations so far:
Slight changes in ffvfw settings interface (mpeg2 ME). At least 150% speed increase on my machine (athlon xp 1600) at mpeg2 encoding.
Happy download
Bye
marcellus
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Free Member

Nice link marcellus ,
I already downloaded it, but still didn't install.
I'm now mainly focused in understand/improve mencoder encodings.
But I'll keep an eye on ffvfw
03-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Free Member

Thanks Marcellus
Haven't had time to try it but I already installed it.
Only thing is it's lacking the makeAVIS on this version
Hope that Athos and Milan fix that soon.
Cheers
03-06-2004, 10:19 PM

I might do something wrong but I got ridiculous 31 high quantization in 2nd pass encoding. I'm not 100% sure yet but I think the 2nd pass encoding is screwed up in this version.
But I'm still testing. Did anybody tried it already?
Anyway, the speed increase is amazing. The one pass CBR is working like it used to. I dont't know if it still gives bitrate peaks, but I think it's likely to be that way since it hasn't any max bitrate setting. The VBV issue remains. It has some new features like quantizer noise shaping (slooooow) and libavcodec noise reduction. New features infinte amount of tests needed

marcellus
03-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Free Member

Testing it out..marcellus, I am trying to use graphedit for the first time...I cannot figure out how to end the graph....you stated something like "dump" in your guide, but I cannot find anything like that...I did try "file writer" under direct show filters, but all that does is create a very small file...And you explain this process more clearly??

Also, is there a way to process one file after another, like batch processing in Dirtualdub Mod....

Thanks..
03-07-2004, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poerschr
.I cannot figure out how to end the graph....you stated something like "dump" in your guide, but I cannot find anything like that...I did try "file writer" under direct show filters, but all that does is create a very small file...And you explain this process more clearly??
Yes, you did well with file writer (I used dump before, which is a dshow filter that dumps the stream to disk, I found it in the zip file with the graphedit when I took it from doom9), and it worked how it suposed to, the small file is a "fake" one, graphedit needs a proper termination of graph in order to play it. The real encoded file is obtained as usually by setting a raw output file in the output tab of ffvfw. BTW, instead of file writer you could use "null render" to get rid of the small file hassle.

About batch processing I don't know much but I don't think so. Graphedit is afterall a debug tool, it hasn't many features. It would be cool if somebody could make a graphedit on steroids with features like that and others, but untill then...

marcellus

EDIT: forget about Null Render, it limits encoding speed to the real FPS of the source (for me it limits it to 25 fps -PAL, with file writer I get even 34 fps)
03-07-2004, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Call me stupid and lock me in the barn...but, I cannot figure out how to get this new intergreated version of ffshow (and ffvfw) to work with virtuldub...It doesn't show ffvfw under the compresion tab anymore...sorry, marcellus, but if Graphedit does not have any support for batch processing then it is not really an opinion for me...

I am sure it is something really simple, I just can't figure out what that is...
03-07-2004, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Call me stupid and lock me in the barn...but, I cannot figure out how to get this new intergreated version of ffshow (and ffvfw) to work with virtuldub...It doesn't show ffvfw under the compresion tab anymore...sorry, marcellus, but if Graphedit does not have any support for batch processing then it is not really an opinion for me...

I am sure it is something really simple, I just can't figure out what that is...
Well, aparently Milan did it again
You cannot see this new "FFVFW" in Vdub because it hasn't VideoForWindows interface anymore, it has only DirectShow (so we are improperly calling it now "ffvfw"), which Vdub cannot see. If I'm wrong somebody correct me.
I'm not bothered by this twist since I'm not using Vdub to encode (nor makeavis for that matter) but obviously I'm one of the few.
I'm worried about this since it casts away potencial or actual ffvfw users... I hope ffvfw will be back again and makeavis too...
EDIT: Or, even better, Vdub could start working with DShow since IMHO VFW is kind of obsolete...

marcellus
03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Call me stupid and lock me in the barn...but, I cannot figure out how to get this new intergreated version of ffshow (and ffvfw) to work with virtuldub.....
Hey I had this same problem so I went looking around the doom9 thread via the link above. There was a bug in the compile were it won't work in a 2 word directory. eg
c:\program files=won't work
c:\video=works great, opens in vdub.
Just testing it now and at first glance it is approx 25% faster
Edit: up to 100% faster at times
We'll see what it looks like soon....
Edit2: looks good.
03-29-2004, 06:16 PM

Great news everybody!!!
New ffdshow build:
http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ffdshow-20040329.exe

Guess what: in ratecontrol tab we have now:
maximum bitrate
minimum bitrate
vbv buffer size

I just downloaded it, I didn't tried it yet but I'm so excited!!! I hope it solves many problems!

I guess our prayers have been heard.

bye
marcellus
03-30-2004, 02:12 AM

I have to lower the enthusiasm a few notches down
The VBV setting is definitely working, now I can easyly obtain VBV of 112 in BV. But for min/max bitrate, I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong (although I doubt it) - for any other value than 0 (meaning infinite) I get a constant Q of 2 and bitrates way much higher than expected. I don't have much time on my hands right now so I did't let it finish an entire file encoding, but I think it's pretty obvious that the thing isn't working as I expect.
marcellus
03-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Free Member

Marcellus,

I think this version fddshow/ffvfw is a CQ encoder in every aspect. The only way to change anything in bitrate/filesize/etc. is to rize the minQ. Otherwise it's encoding everything at cq=2. VBV problem however is soved with this build. So, no min/max bitrates, or even no bitratecontrol what so ever.......
I'll stick to Mencoder for now although this fddshow build is very fast compared to the older ones.

Staigerpaip
03-31-2004, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staigerpaip
I think this version fddshow/ffvfw is a CQ encoder in every aspect. The only way to change anything in bitrate/filesize/etc. is to rize the minQ. Otherwise it's encoding everything at cq=2.
Staigerpaip
No, I don't agree with that. Actually, if I ignore min/max settings (I mean leave them at 0) ffdshow is behaving as it used to (for 1 pass "constant bitrate"). I just finished encoding a movie of 133 min. with 1 CD as target and the final CD image I got before burning was of 79.30 instead of 80 min . So it was very acurate.

To conclude: VBV is not an issue anymore, min/max rate still unusable, the rest is in it's place as usual.
bye
marcellus