Quantcast Sansgrip Filters: Mosquito Noise - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-17-2002, 01:26 PM
Free Member

Ok, it's time to tackle the mosquito noise problem.

I think we should start by summarizing what we know so far, and then we can attempt to work out a way to fix it.

Here's my thoughts:

It occurs at boundaries between high-frequency and low-frequency areas.

It is more noticible on the low-frequency side of the boundary.

Anyone else notice any other characteristics we can take into account to target it with a filter?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-17-2002, 05:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGrip
Ok, it's time to tackle the mosquito noise problem.

I think we should start by summarizing what we know so far, and then we can attempt to work out a way to fix it.

Here's my thoughts:

It occurs at boundaries between high-frequency and low-frequency areas.

It is more noticible on the low-frequency side of the boundary.

Anyone else notice any other characteristics we can take into account to target it with a filter?
Hi SansGrip,

One of the things I notice, I believe I mentioned before, is the effect on a object when it is far away in the picture. When a object is far, and it's size is close to the actual pixels of the encoded resoution, it creates an artifact on movement. Probably when the object moves from a even to an odd pixel, you see this effect. On higher resolutions, this is not so visible. The only way I can describe this is sort of a "Moire Pattern", that happens on graphics. I wonder if the old "Indian" black and white test pattern would be any good to test your filters That pattern clearly shows the Moire Pattern's effect. Of course, this is a still image test pattern, so I'm not sure if it would be of any help.

-kwag
11-17-2002, 07:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
One of the things I notice, I believe I mentioned before, is the effect on a object when it is far away in the picture. When a object is far, and it's size is close to the actual pixels of the encoded resoution, it creates an artifact on movement.
Hmmm. There might not be much we can do about very distant objects. But we can certainly try to reduce mosquito noise in high-contrast areas.

In order to test I'm going to need to encode with settings guaranteed to produce mosquito noise. Any recommendations?