Quantcast KVCD: Splitting the Movie and Audio into Two Seperate Mpegs? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
Go Back    digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives] > Video Production Forums > Video Encoding and Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to heyitsme
I have been trying to encode the best of friends dvd's and the problem is that you cannot sqeeze 140 minutes full screen onto a cd without pretty sad results. When i try to use strong filters the picture looks a little foggy and the res at standard vcd isnt good enough to bring out the details. Since there is multiple episodes on the dvds and they dont have equal length. I want to fill both cds to there max. I know i can achieve this by using tmpgenc for encoding using the source range but i was wondering if i could split the audio headac3he to match the second video file. Yeah the problem mostly lies in how to make headac3he match the second video file. So.........any suggestions would be great thanks.

Branden
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

02-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Free Member

Hi Branden,

Here's what you do. Do a file prediction for your 140 minutes to target 2 CDs. Then encode everything as a single .m1v video and the audio as .mp2 with HeadAC3he. Now find the times where your episodes begin and end, and do a time multiplex with BBMpeg using "Start seconds" and "End seconds". This way you create one mpeg file for every episode. Then put a couple of episodes on each CD, each as a different track

-kwag
02-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the quick response KWAG! !!! Well if i did that i would end up with plenty of room as far as the second cd is concerned. So i guess i will just split it up down the middle. I was just wondering if there was a way i could just encode the audio at certain frame or second. I know that the frames in headac3he dont line up with the ones with video. Thanks kwqg i might just re-rip the movie by chapters and encode one by one with my desired file sizes.

Thanks

Branden
02-18-2003, 01:12 AM
Free Member

hi,
I was thinking how I'd go about this and I think you already have the idea:
1. rip each episode
2. load all vobs into DVD2AVI and create two seperate project files split somewhere at halfway point between episodes
3. encode each one with either 352x480 or maybe 528x480 (with filters) and use prediction so the cds are filled
4. optionally you can find the chapter points manually with VDub or use ChapterXtractor

but I have a question about BBmpeg- will it cut exactly or very close to the time specified (i haven't tried that yet)? When setting mb to cut it usually goes over the amount on the first cd (set 800mb and it cuts at 820mb or something )

thanks,
ren
02-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Free Member

That is a good idea! I will re-rip it tomorrow. About bbmpeg, it does cut it exactly, at least for me it has. Before just cutting by file size i always used time. Thanks a lot rendalunit.

Branden
02-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendalunit
hi,
I was thinking how I'd go about this and I think you already have the idea:
1. rip each episode
2. load all vobs into DVD2AVI and create two seperate project files split somewhere at halfway point between episodes
3. encode each one with either 352x480 or maybe 528x480 (with filters) and use prediction so the cds are filled
4. optionally you can find the chapter points manually with VDub or use ChapterXtractor

but I have a question about BBmpeg- will it cut exactly or very close to the time specified (i haven't tried that yet)? When setting mb to cut it usually goes over the amount on the first cd (set 800mb and it cuts at 820mb or something )

thanks,
ren
hi "ren",

this is a real problem for me,than i ask:
"3. encode each one with either 352x480 or maybe 528x480 (with filters) and use prediction so the cds are filled"

if i encode all chapters together, i get "x size",
but if
i encode one by one chapter(one first, then encode another one...)
the total size is "xxx"(more mb size)
(1 encode + another encode + another one +...)
it's hard to explain....don't find better words.

how can i preview the final size with diferents chapters
with diferent times encoded one by one?

example:
1 musical clip from one dvd,than
another one clip from another dvd...encoded one by one = strong size!

thanks in advance!
02-18-2003, 03:15 AM
Free Member

hey jorel,

If you still have the .vobs on your hard disk then load them into DVD2AVI and make several project files- the slider on the bottom of the preview screen will allow you to set the start and stop times.

If each chapter is already encoded then you just add each one to VCD Easy or Nero one at a time-- or cut the mpg the way that kwag said.

ren