Quantcast Making KVCDs from Scratch - a User's Guide - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
03-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Free Member

Hi,
As you probably noticed I did a guide to KVCDx2 a while back, but I've now updated the Guide to v1.0 and it includes all new templates as well as using the great tool Moviestacker by Mauddib (thanks mate it's awesome )
Anyway, in the guide I explain stuff, and add it as I learn it myself.
I don't pretend to be an expert, so my guide is for people who want to learn from scratch.
Any questions about my kvcd guide or programs I use in it, just ask me here, any questions about filters or other stuff ask the experts (mauddib, sansgrip, Kwag etc).

You can download the Zipped (v1.1 and 1.0) version of the word Doc
from this link (thanks Rhino) : http://kvcd.atlanticisle.com/

Sorry I haven't been able to get back as much as I'd like, had problems at home and at work, but anyway...Soon I will be asking Kwag to delete this guide from KVCD net because Im going to be releasing another 'Step by Step guide'.
It will be interactive in the sense that you will do a step before pressing next button and there will be other links to downloads etc for each step....
Im doing it in Swish 2.0 (flash plugin will be required) and it's going to take a while, but I cannot support the version that's now on kvcd.net unfortunately.
Anyway, hopefully the next one will be much easier to follow and it will at least (the 1st version) include MAF scripting, and Headac3e encoding, BRB in a few weeks

Hopefully I'll support it much better than I did this, sorry to all who had to pm me about problems with the guide and lack of updates. One more thing, this guide won't be gone altogether, it will still be available, and it will be on KVCD pages until the new one is up at least, thanks .

< Hmmm Like that ever came, sorry, well I did do it just never finished when ppl where on dvds I'll put links here to the videos I did shortly for nostalgias sake
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Free Member

Hello all...

I decided to delete all our messages from here, so we can keep it for questions about the guide and programs used in it as of the version in the first post.
Sorry to all last weekend, it was my Birthday and I was very very intoxicated with beer - but don't let that put you off from asking any questions regarding the guide and (if possible) any program used that's in it.

Thanks to Jorel & Rhino for the past comments and links
03-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

"...last weekend, it was my Birthday and I was very..."

happy birthday my (our) friend!

sorry for late cos i didn't knew the date!

and the gift is our...the new guide,
a big gift! thank you.

GOD bless you and are sending happiness and very long days to live!
04-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Free Member

Hi Red-M

Great guide. These things are just soooo important to beginners and even myself when I have not visited this forum for a while (like a microsecond).

Your file prediction example seems to be based on the old formula when we were doing 100 samples? Correct me if I'm wrong. The Sampler function placed by Moviestacker I thought makes the number of samples equivalent to the number of minutes of the movie (ie 103 in your example). Is it therefore important to only use the formula that is quoted in Moviestacker?

I would suggest also a special mention to checking the resampling to 44.1 khz in Headac3he (assuming it is unchecked in DVD2AVI). It does not default and is a real headache if missed.

Some mention of the DVD2AVI settings (forced film, demux) which Black Prince used in his is useful also.

Great work mate
Cheers
Jeff
04-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeff99
Hi Red-M

Great guide. These things are just soooo important to beginners and even myself when I have not visited this forum for a while (like a microsecond).
hehe, know what you mean, it's hard to keep up with stuff here, but it's all good

Quote:
Your file prediction example seems to be based on the old formula when we were doing 100 samples? Correct me if I'm wrong. The Sampler function placed by Moviestacker I thought makes the number of samples equivalent to the number of minutes of the movie (ie 103 in your example). Is it therefore important to only use the formula that is quoted in Moviestacker?
Yes, I found the moviestacker wasn't as accurate for me so I just use it for the filters and to save the avs, but if you find the moviestacker Fileprediction works better for you, use that. The thing is, trying all the formula' around I still like the first one best for myself, it just works for me.

Quote:
I would suggest also a special mention to checking the resampling to 44.1 khz in Headac3he (assuming it is unchecked in DVD2AVI). It does not default and is a real headache if missed.
Yes, very good idea actually, will update that in the next version.
The reason I never bothered with that in the past is that it works fine on my player at 48Hz and it will work on "most" players that play kvcd anyway, but yea, will include a sentence to make that more clear, thanks.

Quote:
Some mention of the DVD2AVI settings (forced film, demux) which Black Prince used in his is useful also.
Yes also a good idea, but think I'll just put a link to black Prince's info on that.

Quote:
Great work mate
Cheers
Jeff
No prob's thanks for the questions, this is the kind of thing I need to make the guide better.

04-05-2003, 04:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I found the moviestacker wasn't as accurate for me so I just use it for the filters and to save the avs, but if you find the moviestacker Fileprediction works better for you, use that. The thing is, trying all the formula' around I still like the first one best for myself, it just works for me.
Hi Red-M

Thanks for the quick acknowledgement my friend. Without puting too finer point on this, I may not have been clear in what I was implying. Your guide still uses the function sampler(length=24) in Movietracker to create the test file to which you apply the old formula. However, in your example this would create 103 samples (120 for a 2 hour movie) not 100 so your method will give erroneous results in general although fortuitously close in this test case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Changing the function to Sampler(100, length=24) in your example should fix this would it not?

Cheers mate
Jeff
04-09-2003, 04:00 PM
Free Member

..Does anyone know if there is another viable multiplexer alternative for Headache3? Somebody said BeSeet could do it, but I'm not sure.Obviously I can't progress further with KVCD untill this step is resolved. I've never had any luck "assembling" programs with DLLS.
04-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezysk
..Does anyone know if there is another viable multiplexer alternative for Headache3? Somebody said BeSeet could do it, but I'm not sure.Obviously I can't progress further with KVCD untill this step is resolved. I've never had any luck "assembling" programs with DLLS.
Well the first thing to 'clear up' is that HeadAC3he isn't a multiplexer, it's an audio encoder. HeadAC3he and BeSweet are much better than the TMPGenc audio encoder and you shouldn't give up on them- they're very easy to install Download the main HeadAC3he program, unzip it with WinRAR 3.0 (or latest version), download the dlls (the ones optimized for your computer's cpu), unzip them and put them in the same directory as the main HeadAC3he directory-- it's that easy. If that doesn't work then just encode the audio with TMPGenc- it's not as good but still is acceptable.
04-09-2003, 10:32 PM

a big "little" tutorial by friendalunit

"If that doesn't work then just encode the audio with TMPGenc-
it's not as good but still is acceptable"

yeah but...acceptable is ... boredom!

ezysk
follow "friendalunit"....will be great!

04-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Free Member

Which one of you people here, uses the HeadAche3 program....with a PENTIUM 4 ???
04-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozjeff99
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Red-M

Thanks for the quick acknowledgement my friend. Without puting too finer point on this, I may not have been clear in what I was implying. Your guide still uses the function sampler(length=24) in Movietracker to create the test file to which you apply the old formula. However, in your example this would create 103 samples (120 for a 2 hour movie) not 100 so your method will give erroneous results in general although fortuitously close in this test case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Changing the function to Sampler(100, length=24) in your example should fix this would it not?
Cheers mate
Jeff
Yea, your right, will have to change that in the next update, cheers for pointing that out.
04-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezysk
Which one of you people here, uses the HeadAche3 program....with a PENTIUM 4 ???
I do.
05-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
I have a question about the guide, why does it have us mux kvcd into svd?? when all kvcd templates are mpeg-1??? surely that would be more fitting for a skvcd guide??
05-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Free Member

What difference does it make? There are so many settings in a variety of apps with this thing.......that its enough to make your head spin, let alone the dam movie coming out right.
05-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybno1
I have a question about the guide, why does it have us mux kvcd into svd?? when all kvcd templates are mpeg-1??? surely that would be more fitting for a skvcd guide??
It's a compatibility issue. Some players work fine when muxed as "VCD", and some don't. Most of the times, the ones that don't work muxed as "VCD", work fine when muxed as "SVCD". So the main KVCD muxing format is always MPEG-1 muxed as "VCD, and the second choice is muxed as "SVCD".

-kwag
05-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to andybno1 Send a message via Yahoo to andybno1
ah right, well it should say that kwag in the guide maybe red-m should add it in.
05-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Free Member

Sorry for the delay, thought my thread had died...

About SVCD headers, well....

The latest guide v1.0, tells you how to mux as non standard VCD (not svcd) so don't know which version your looking at, perhaps an old version? Anyway...

I've found that adding SVCD headers makes KVCD more compatible with certain players (check the kvcd compatibility list out, you'll see a lot of "mux as svcd") and I'll be adding the muxing as SVCD to the guide again soon, so watch this space.
05-17-2003, 08:26 PM

Red-M wrote:

"Sorry for the delay, thought my thread had died... "

impossible my friend, now you got more than 2800 views!

a guide like this never die!
sometimes need something new but your guide don't need it now.
remains cool, made with steel.
05-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Free Member

I did the last update to v1.1 of the guide before I re-write it all as a proper web page, it should be on the front page soon.
Additions are the moviestacker screenshot is right & how to add/remove SVCD header information for certain DVD players to work correct.

Cheers
05-25-2003, 02:07 PM
Free Member

Thanks Red-M,

Your new guide is now being uploaded

Edit: The guide is now online

-kwag