Quantcast It's a Shame! - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
09-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Free Member

The forum is back up again, sadly, on the same old provider.
It's a shame that this provider has limitations on database backup (MySQL).
They claim that the max resources on their servers, cannot make a full backup of KVCD.Net. because of the size of the database.
This, to me, this clearly indicates a "try to lock in" a customer to a hosting service, by not allowing our propietary database to be backed up
What does this mean
But the end of this month, I WILL have KVCD.Net transfered to our other provider, with a complete different forum, which will require hard work to manually extract the "sticky" topics, and all the most important theads "by hand", and duplicate the information. I'll try to at least backup all user names, so you don't have to register again.
Just something to ALL to keep an eye, when signing up for a hosting service, and that is to ask them:
CAN WE (END USER) MAKE A FULL, UNLIMITED BACKUP OF OUR DATA
OR ARE THERE STRINGS ATTACHED

In our case, there are IRON CABLES attached, which mean that they control the backups, and once you grow, you can't backup your data. So they have full control, to try and keep you on their host.

I will transfer the forum, even if I have to cut & paste thousands of messages, but I will not give them the benefit of locking us in a host by not letting us backup our full database.

-kwag
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

Closed Thread