Quantcast Bitrates: CQmatic is Somehow Buggered - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
10-24-2003, 09:02 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I'm talking with a lot of people on the french forum that all have the same problem with CQMatic : CQ is always 89.77 and size in cqmatic log are all negatives.

I ask them a lot of question and there are the conclusions :
- when loading manually the CQMatic.tpr file in tmpgenc, and running the encoding, everything is okay : Tempgenc encodes a sample of 2 minutes perfectly until its end.

-> so the problem does not come from a crash of TMPGenc

- the .sample file that CQMatic let on the disc when it has finished its work is a valib m2v file, of two minutes, 9 Mega bytes long, with no error within it.

-> CQMatic does its sample perfectly but continues to report taht size if -15501215134.... !

Karl, can you check that ?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

10-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Karl, can you check that ?
I already have, and the problem is ( as I've said before ) the file names
TMPEG stores output file names in "non-standard" way.
Example. This is the way TMPEG stores an "Output File Name":

Code:
Job.OutputFileName = 
    'K:\This is a very long directory file name that will mess up CQM' +
    'atic because of tmpeg conventions\RED_PLANET\VIDEO_TS\red.m1v'
See the problem

The fix is simple: DON'T use an output directory/filename that too long

Edit: Consequently, CQMatic can't find the file "red.m1v" to find out it's file size, because "'K:\This is a very long directory file name that will mess up CQM' + 'atic because of tmpeg conventions\RED_PLANET\VIDEO_TS\red.m1v" is not a valid file name

-kwag
10-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Free Member

I forgot to tell : for sure shorten the filename is the first thing I tell to them !

And currently, the last guy with a problem has "C:\movie.d2v" as name

(but wait a little, I have to double check that because he told me that it didn't work, I give him hints, that worked... and 2 days after, that didn't worked anymore... I wonder know if his new project has still a short pathname )
10-25-2003, 05:32 AM
Free Member

Okay : double check done. No problem in path nor filenames used.

But the problem is still there : CQMatic fails
10-25-2003, 07:30 AM
Free Member

Ok...maybe, you guys did something wrong with the highest CQ possible..

I mean, i herad it only goes till 90 and maybe you put 89.77 instaed..

And whenever people encode movies that can retain the highest Quality possible they get 89.77...

i am not a program expert so if it sounds dumd please ignore it...
10-25-2003, 07:48 AM
Free Member

It is dumb Daone, but no offense

(all size are negatives in CQMAtic log, that where the problem is)
10-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Free Member

Dialhot,

I have yet had CQMatic to fail when I do the following.

1. In Tmpgenc I ALWAYS! choose CTRL+N (New Project)
2. I load the .avs file
3. I then load my template
4. Set my paremeters such as Min/Max Bitrate, framerate, source aspect ratio, etc.
5. Save my project as TMPGEnc Text Project.
6. Open CQMatic enter Movie time in minutes and Average Bitrate
7. Then I "Open Project" and switch "Full Encode" to "Prediction Only"
8. "Execute!"

Hints: If this a DVD Rip and you are using DVD2AVI then your pathname has a couple of other "rules" it has to follow. You path name cannot contain certain characters. Although Windows allows them, TMPGEnc or Avisynth does not. Make sure you have not characters like: # ' " ? ! ( ) Etc....

Hope this helps.

Racer99
10-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer99
I have yet had CQMatic to fail when I do the following.

1. In Tmpgenc I ALWAYS! choose CTRL+N (New Project)
2. I load the .avs file
3. I then load my template
4. Set my paremeters such as Min/Max Bitrate, framerate, source aspect ratio, etc.
5. Save my project as TMPGEnc Text Project.
6. Open CQMatic enter Movie time in minutes and Average Bitrate
7. Then I "Open Project" and switch "Full Encode" to "Prediction Only"
8. "Execute!"
In sum, you do exactly what you are supposed to do and CQMatic fails ?
That exactly what I want to explain (and find a solution)

Quote:
Hints: If this a DVD Rip and you are using DVD2AVI then your pathname has a couple of other "rules" it has to follow. You path name cannot contain certain characters. Although Windows allows them, TMPGEnc or Avisynth does not. Make sure you have not characters like: # ' " ? ! ( ) Etc....
Yeah, for sure, already checked also (lot of problems come from french accents ). But not the point here. I remember that the name of the project is "C:\vacance.tpr" and the name of the source "C:\vacance.d2v".

Note: you should open the avs after the template, as tmpgenc change things as resolution and framerate according to what it finds in the source when it loads it.
10-25-2003, 09:46 AM
Free Member

Quote:
In sum, you do exactly what you are supposed to do and CQMatic fails ?
That exactly what I want to explain (and find a solution)
I have yet had CQMatic to fail
That means it has never failed if I follow my own personal steps.

Quote:
Note: you should open the avs after the template, as tmpgenc change things as resolution and framerate according to what it finds in the source when it loads it.
I have templates setup up that are resolution specific (just easier for me...Personal preference). But yes if you have one template and you set your resizing in avisynth then your way works just as well.

On another note, how about posting the .avs script and the TMPGEnc text project file so that maybe "we" can see if there are any problems.

Racer99
10-25-2003, 10:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I have yet had CQMatic to fail
That means it has never failed if I follow my own personal steps.
So you meant :
I have yet had CQMatic to fail then I do the following

and not

I have yet had CQMatic to fail when I do the following

Because else, it seams to me that your sentence means "when I do the following steps, sometime I have CQMAtic that fails".

Am I wrong ?

Quote:
I have templates setup up that are resolution specific (just easier for me...Personal preference).
I aggree, but it's dangerous. If you select the wrong template by mistake, you will have two resizing operations : the one in the avs script and the one in TMPGEnc.
When you load the avs after you load the template, you see immediatly if there is a mistake somewhere.

Quote:
On another note, how about posting the .avs script and the TMPGEnc text project file so that maybe "we" can see if there are any problems.
I will see if the guy still have them on his PC.
10-25-2003, 10:14 AM
Free Member

Sorry for the confusion.

With CQ I have not experienced failures recently. That is because I follow the step I outlined earlier.

When CQ first came out I had similar failures due to the problems I suggested in the hints. My problems have stopped because I choose a new project in TMPGEncd and I make sure my naming convention is proper (and as short as possible).

As for the tip. Thanks! I'll do that, I never thought of it that way. I'll swap the way I do things and give it a try.

Greg
10-25-2003, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
My problems have stopped because I choose a new project in TMPGEncd
I will suggest that to people that have problems. Perhaps there is a setting in tmpgenc that we don't care or don't think about, but that make CQMAtic to fail.
10-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Free Member

When a new project is created, all source range, cut edits, etc., are cleared.
I myself have never had a single problem with CQMatic.
And the times I've had, is because I forgot to clear the source range to "Default", or I left some stray range in the "Cut edit".
Other than that, and if the paths and file names are short, CQMatic can't fail.

-kwag
10-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Free Member

Kwag,

Do you thing that I would have opened this tread if everything that is already known (and that you just mentioned) wasn't carefully checked ?

Look at my post : I told you that project created by CQmatic runs normallly till its end if you load it manually in tmpgenc and launch the encoding. So that is definitely NOT a problem a "cut editing" not reset.

CQMatic usage (and problems) took me dozens of posts in the french forum last week. And other peoples reported here that they have problems. You can't ignore them.

That's why I'm quite sure that there is something that you, me, and other "experimented" people do not do, but unfortunaly all newbies do. That is that thing that I try to find, or at least a workaround.

Creating a new project each time can be this workaround.
10-25-2003, 12:18 PM
Free Member

Quote:

Look at my post : I told you that project created by CQmatic runs normallly till its end if you load it manually in tmpgenc and launch the encoding. So that is definitely NOT a problem a "cut editing" not reset.
Of course Because TMPEG CAN read it's own long file name splitting conventions. But when you load the project from CQMatic, which adheres to the standard "Windows" file name conventions, there is where it bombs
So the problem is always related to file name/path. I think it's easier for newbies to just simply create a new project every time they start. And if they follow the shorter file name/directory suggestions, nobody will have a problem.
Quote:

That's why I'm quite sure that there is something that you, me, and other "experimented" people do not do, but unfortunaly all newbies do. That is that thing that I try to find, or at least a workaround.

Creating a new project each time can be this workaround.
Exactly

-kwag
10-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
So the problem is always related to file name/path.
And again : the name of the project here is "C:\vacance.tpr" and the name of the source "C:\vacance.d2v". So, again, it's not a problem of path name. Except if "vacance" is a french word that CQMAtic does not like

Quote:
I think it's easier for newbies to just simply create a new project every time they start.
That is the only new thing I do not have already tell them to do. I will and give you feedback.
10-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Free Member

Okay, forget everything told here !

The guy just send me its project file : he used a short pathname for the source ".d2v", but he never told me that he use in fact an avs script. And there is what I found in it's project file:

" Video.SourceFileName ='C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony\Bureau\Encodage\kvcd\Script.av' +
's' "

:banghead:

So, there is what newbies are doing that we do not : they put the avs file on their desktop ! And for sure, they don't know that the destop if stored by windows in an very long pathname "C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony\Bureau'...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................
10-30-2003, 07:35 AM
Free Member

Just my two pence worth on the subject of filenames and paths.

I have a directory on my C drive called Movies. For each movie that I wish to encode, I create a directory under Movies i.e., Matrix, always short, always single word. The ripped Vob files then go into this directory, DVD2AVI is run and the d2v and wav files go into this directory also. Finally a copy of the MA script is placed into this directory and modified accordingly. All file names (excluding audio) are short, all file names are single word.

I still have the problem with all of my CQ predictions ending up as 89.77, why
10-30-2003, 08:05 AM
Free Member

Because you forget to check the other point that can lead to a failure : the "cut editing" must be reseted on TMPGENC.

Return back in the begining of the thread and see the step by step procedure used by racer99. It should work with you.

And if it does'nt, that mean that you have an error in you script that make tmpgenc crashed. We will see that later, if needed.
10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Because you forget to check the other point that can lead to a failure : the "cut editing" must be reseted on TMPGENC.
Not so because I always start with New Project
Quote:
Return back in the begining of the thread and see the step by step procedure used by racer99. It should work with you.
Do those steps already

Quote:
And if it does'nt, that mean that you have an error in you script that make tmpgenc crashed. We will see that later, if needed.
No crash in TMPGEnc, all 3000 frames always encoded. Only thing that changes is the movie (length, avg bitrate, min bitrate, etc.), but final CQ is still 89.77