Quantcast MPEG Mediator: DVD Audio/Video Out of Sync - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
07-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Free Member

Well, this program saved my day
I didn't even have to use DVD2AVI.
After doing the movie with DVD2AVI, with both versions 1.76 and 1.77.3, the audio/video were always out of sync a little after the 1 hour 13 minutes. Somewhere around there.
So I tried MPEG mediator, which I hadn't tried in over six months.
I opened the VOB's and used the videoserver plug to frameserve.
Because MPEG mediator frameserves at the same frame rate as the input, I used an AviSynth script to do the Inverse Telecine, and processed the video stream only with TMPEG. After that was done, I saved the WAV file, also with MPEG mediator. I opened the WAV with headac3he, and encoded to mp2. I'm not sure if the dolby information was retained when MPEG mediator saved the WAV file. I have to check on this. But after I muxed the video and audio stream with BBMpeg, the complete movie is perfect, viewed in WMP. There are no audio/video sync issues. The process is a little slower, because AviSynth is doing the IVTC. It was faster doing it with DVD2AVI, because "FORCE FILM" was set, and there was no need to do IVTC. But then, the audio and video were completely off. The great thing about this is that there was no need to make a DVD2AVI project file to process the VOB's. Just need to confirm if the WAV file that this program creates, maintains the surround information.

-kwag
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

07-26-2002, 03:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
After doing the movie with DVD2AVI, with both versions 1.76 and 1.77.3, the audio/video were always out of sync a little after the 1 hour 13 minutes. Somewhere around there.
Because MPEG mediator frameserves at the same frame rate as the input, I used an AviSynth script to do the Inverse Telecine, and processed the video stream only with TMPEG. After that was done, I saved the WAV file, also with MPEG mediator. I opened the WAV with headac3he, and encoded to mp2. I'm not sure if the dolby information was retained when MPEG mediator saved the WAV file. I have to check on this. But after I muxed the video and audio stream with BBMpeg, the complete movie is perfect, viewed in WMP. There are no audio/video sync issues. The process is a little slower, because AviSynth is doing the IVTC. It was faster doing it with DVD2AVI, because "FORCE FILM" was set, and there was no need to do IVTC. But then, the audio and video were completely off. The great thing about this is that there was no need to make a DVD2AVI project file to process the VOB's. Just need to confirm if the WAV file that this program creates, maintains the surround information.

-kwag
Hi kwag!

Do you think the problem was with the D2V project or with the AC3 file demuxed with DVD2AVI?
Because you still can just extract the AC3 file with DVD2AVI (or with your DVD ripper) and do the job with headac3he like before...

Let me just use the opportunity to ask you one thing.
The surround information is coded in a normal stereo stream, isn't it?
So if the stereo stream can keep the surround information, why use dual-channel instead of full stereo?
07-26-2002, 03:23 PM
Free Member

Dual channel is better that stereo for carrying surround information, because there's no co-relation at all between channels. They're two completely separate independent channels.

-kwag
07-26-2002, 06:17 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Dual channel is better that stereo for carrying surround information, because there's no co-relation at all between channels. They're two completely separate independent channels.

-kwag
But, in the beginning, wasn't the surround in a stereo stream?
07-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muaddib
Quote:

-kwag
But, in the beginning, wasn't the surround in a stereo stream?
Yes. But still, dual-channel is a better method for carrying the surround information. The reason is that in dual channel mode, each channel is completely isolated from each other. There's no "cross channel" interference at all in dual channel mode. In stereo, you can have cross interference from one channel to the othe one. Even though the levels are very low ( adjacent channel rejection, etc ) , it still can interfere in some cases with the surround information. So if you want the purest stereo channel separation, dual-channel is the way to go.

-kwag
07-26-2002, 10:55 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Yes. But still, dual-channel is a better method for carrying the surround information. The reason is that in dual channel mode, each channel is completely isolated from each other. There's no "cross channel" interference at all in dual channel mode. In stereo, you can have cross interference from one channel to the othe one. Even though the levels are very low ( adjacent channel rejection, etc ) , it still can interfere in some cases with the surround information. So if you want the purest stereo channel separation, dual-channel is the way to go.

-kwag
So... dual-channel it will be!
Thanks a lot for the wisdom...
07-27-2002, 01:13 PM
Free Member

Kwag,

Do you mean you opened the .avs file with mpeg mediator?
Do you mean you used th decimate() and telecide() commands in the avs?

Thanks, i'll try the mediator at night!

DaDe.
07-27-2002, 02:28 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDe
Kwag,

Do you mean you opened the .avs file with mpeg mediator?
Do you mean you used th decimate() and telecide() commands in the avs?

Thanks, i'll try the mediator at night!

DaDe.
Hi DaDe:

I mean you open the VOB's directly with Mediator. Then you use the Videoserver plugin, the .prm file ( must be in the Mediator directory for it to work ), and you open the pseudo .avi that Mediator creates with your .avs that has telecide, decimate, etc. You have to turn off the "auto" under deinterlace and set it to "off" and also the aspect I did set to 1:1, so that all my resizing, etc is done with my AviSynth script. Play with it for a while, you'll get the hang of it very fast.

-kwag
07-27-2002, 07:40 PM
Free Member

hi kwag,

Where's the videoserver plugin? I only see the bbmpeg and opendml avi output plugins.

thx
07-27-2002, 07:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendalunit
hi kwag,

Where's the videoserver plugin? I only see the bbmpeg and opendml avi output plugins.

thx
Hi ren,

Use the .prm plug that is used with Xmpeg, DVDx, and all those. The name of the plug is "cm-videoserver.prm". Just copy it to your MPEG Mediator directory
It should be available at videotools.net in the videoserver package.

-kwag
07-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Free Member

Update:
It works!, and it works damn well
The WAV file that mediator creates, has the surround information. So headac3he encodes the dolby surround information in the mp2 file.
The process is way faster than processing the AC3 file with headac3he. Just save the WAV file with mediator, and open the WAV file with headac3he. Then encode to MP2. Audio and video in perfect sync
Try this instead of "demuxing" the AC3 file with DVD2AVI.

Update:
The version tested is MPEG Mediator 1.4, which has not been released yet.

It was sent to me by the author for testing. I have requested his authorization to post the .zip file. I will post here as soon as I have a reply.

-kwag
07-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:

-kwag
Hi Kwag,

I am using MPEG Mediator 1.2, have AVIsynth installed, and downloaded what I believe is the correct videoserver package (v0.93). Is this the version you are using. I have tried using this one, as well as, an older version (which was not a self extracting program, but rather a zip which had a .dll file to extract to the MPEG Mediator directory), but everytime I select "start conversion" two small windows pop up and the only options available to select are "stop" and "abort". There is no harddrive activity- just two smal windows laughing at me.

I am following the suggestions you posted, as well as, the guide on the doom9 site.

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdx-videoserver.htm

However; the doom9 site 's pictures show slight differences in the menu options/features between the video server plugin version they are running and the one I am using (eg: no output setting menu with options for setting resolution, etc.)

Can you tell me where I can obtain the videoserver plugin version you are using? also, the only reason I am considering to use MPEG Mediator is because I want to resolve an audio synch problem I have when I try to remux a 3:2 pulled-down .m2v with a demuxed audio file (xtracted using TMPGEnc).

Thank you for your help on this. Hoping this program can resolve the problem.

07-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100571
Quote:

-kwag
Hi Kwag,

I am using MPEG Mediator 1.2, have AVIsynth installed, and downloaded what I believe is the correct videoserver package (v0.93). Is this the version you are using. I have tried using this one, as well as, an older version (which was not a self extracting program, but rather a zip which had a .dll file to extract to the MPEG Mediator directory), but everytime I select "start conversion" two small windows pop up and the only options available to select are "stop" and "abort". There is no harddrive activity- just two smal windows laughing at me.

I am following the suggestions you posted, as well as, the guide on the doom9 site.

http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdx-videoserver.htm

However; the doom9 site 's pictures show slight differences in the menu options/features between the video server plugin version they are running and the one I am using (eg: no output setting menu with options for setting resolution, etc.)

Can you tell me where I can obtain the videoserver plugin version you are using? also, the only reason I am considering to use MPEG Mediator is because I want to resolve an audio synch problem I have when I try to remux a 3:2 pulled-down .m2v with a demuxed audio file (xtracted using TMPGEnc).

Thank you for your help on this. Hoping this program can resolve the problem.

I forgot to add that upon configuring the video server plugin I get the following error message:

"CRC error of the settings. Default settings are loaded. You need to run the settings menu of the plugin ones."

07-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Free Member

Hi 100571:

Yes, I'm using videoserver .93.
The error you get "CRC error of the settings. Default settings are loaded. You need to run the settings menu of the plugin ones." is normal. Just continue and set your parameters.

The guide at doom9 is old. Forget all the things it says about the audio.
Just ensure that you select on server mode "AVIWrapper" with the output file name "C:\IPCServer.AVI" or whatever you want.
Under "Audio", "PostPro", everything goes "unchecked", and under "General", I set the timeout to 999.

-kwag