Quantcast KVCD: Partial Success, Lots of Questions! - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Free Member

Greetings! I'm extremely new to the world of video encoding, and even newer to KVCD.

I've been trying to run through the tutorials, but I've had problems with some of the steps. Here is what I ended up doing:

1) Rip DVD ("Eight Mile") using SmartRipper.
2) Demux Video using DVD2AVI. I now have an AC3 file and D2V file.
3) Use Headac3he to convert AC3 to MP2.
4) Use TMpegEnc (with KVCD profile) to combine D2V and MP2 into MV1 file.
5) Use Nero (manual mode) to create VCD.
6) The short test run I burned works FINE in my JVC player....BUT it appears that there are a lot of "interlace lines", seen as horizontal thin lines when there is motion. (I think this effect is called combing). When I was using DVD2AVI, it quoted the framerate as 29.97, and FILM 99%. However, the quality looked great!

QUESTIONS:
1) Why do most tutorials recommend DVD Decryptor? Is it better than SmartRipper?

2) The KVCD specs say that it is 528x480 with a VBR of 64->3000kbps. Isn't VBR for SVCD only? Shouldn't I burn the CD as SVCD under nero?

3) Won't the 528x480 resolution distort the picture?

4) Should I remove the black bars on the 16:9 ratio, similar to what is done in Divx encoding?

5) How do I get rid of the "interlace" (comb??) motion effect?

6) How to use CQcalc?

7) Am I missing any steps?

Thanks! More questions will come!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck
1) Why do most tutorials recommend DVD Decryptor? Is it better than SmartRipper?
yes it is. It has for instance far less problems with duplicate PGC cells (see Finding Nemo) or even thing so basic as multi-angle DVD.

Quote:
2) The KVCD specs say that it is 528x480 with a VBR of 64->3000kbps. Isn't VBR for SVCD only? Shouldn't I burn the CD as SVCD under nero?
In fact KVCD are defined as XVCD and XVCD can be in VBR. But your player has to be abble to handle that.

Quote:
3) Won't the 528x480 resolution distort the picture?
No, it doesn't.

Quote:
4) Should I remove the black bars on the 16:9 ratio, similar to what is done in Divx encoding?
You must remove the black bar and use a correct script that will resize the picture correctly and put back the correct borders to generate a well proportioned 4:3 image.
12-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
You must remove the black bar and use a correct script that will resize the picture correctly and put back the correct borders to generate a well proportioned 4:3 image.
Do you think that by not doing this, it may have caused the "interlaced" (or comb or whatever it's called) effect?

How do you do this? Is that what MovieStacker is for?

Also is AVISynth and TMpegEnc used for the same purpose? I didn't use AVISynth because I was having an extremely hard time with the scripting.

Thanks (sorry for all the noob questions).

pck
12-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pck
Do you think that by not doing this, it may have caused the "interlaced" (or comb or whatever it's called) effect?
Not at all. Your problem is suremy because you did not use a script that deal with interlaced source.
For instance, resizing a interlaced picture lead to catastrophic result.
You must de-interlaced the picture properly or use a field based script.

Quote:
How do you do this? Is that what MovieStacker is for?
MovieStaker is to make easily a working script without knowing anything about avisynth. Among other things, it can deal with deinterlace operation.

Quote:
Also is AVISynth and TMpegEnc used for the same purpose? I didn't use AVISynth because I was having an extremely hard time with the scripting.
Avisynth is to feed tmpgenc with a decent, higlty compressible picture. Tmpgenc is "jsut" the encoder and we do not ask him to do anything else (as all is already done by avisynth )
12-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Free Member

pck,

You can find Kwags optimal script here

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3483

Copy and paste that into wordpad and save it as an .avs file.

Now load MovieStacker open up your .d2v file, go to the Avisynth Script button, and at the bottom click on load, now pick the template that corresponds to the size you want.

Make sure you have the Anamorphic box checked under destination if your source is Anamorphic.

Now take the GripCrop line and paste it into your .avs file in wordpad in place of the generic setting.

Then take the Mpeg2Source line and paste it into your .avs file in wordpad in place of the generic setting.

Make sure you have avisynth 2.52 or 2.53 installed, and all the appropiate 2.5 filters, you can get all at www.avisynth.org

That should get your started with scripting.......
12-17-2003, 04:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECH

Make sure you have the Anamorphic box checked under destination if your source is Anamorphic.
The other way around
You don't make anamorphic VCDs. Only DVDs. So keep destination anamorphic "Unchecked"

-kwag
12-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Free Member

Quote:
You don't make anamorphic VCDs. Only DVDs. So keep destination anamorphic "Unchecked"
Opps

So destination anamorphic should never be checked when doing KVCDs
12-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Free Member

That's exactly that.
12-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Free Member

Darn, does this mean I'll have to go back and re encode some of my films to get the correct aspect ratio?
12-18-2003, 06:18 AM
Free Member

No you can probably live with them but you will have to switch the format manually on your TV set.
But for your future encode, do not use anamorphic target as that generate more info to encode and so, the CQ is smaller (so it is the quality).
12-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Free Member

Thanks for all of the replies guys!

I found some of my problems, namely: using DVD2AVI v1.77.3 is NOT compatible with the AVISynth mpeg2dec3.dll input. Thanks Google!

Anyhow, I've had some success with encoding. I've tried the 528x480 MPEG-1 output, and the results were good, but the file size was too big! I've tried using CQMatic, and ran it to create me a nice 650MB CD (I'm trying on a CD-RW for now), but the final size was over 750MB! I told CQMatic to do 3X prediction, so how could it be that far off!??
12-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Free Member

Do you know that a 80min CD can receive 807 MB of data in Video mode (VCD or SVCD) ? And a 74min one, near 700 MB ?

So no need to target a 650MB file !
12-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Do you know that a 80min CD can receive 807 MB of data in Video mode (VCD or SVCD) ? And a 74min one, near 700 MB ?

So no need to target a 650MB file !
Really? How? I thought that this might be the case, but I put the "750MB" file into Nero, and it blew the capacity chart (in the bottom) way into the red. Mind you, I didn't actually try burning the data...I just figured it would complain, so I didn't even bother!

Do you think nero will just happily burn it? Or should I use some other program?

PS: What is a typical conversion time. My TMpgEnc takes about 4h to do the 110min "eight-mile". This is with an AMD XP 2500, 512MB ram.
12-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Free Member

Scratch that. I figured it out: When you're multiplexing the audio and video you have to set TMpgEnc to MPEG-1 (Video CD: non-standard).

Now it fits!

Totally awesome results too! I fit the entire 8-mile movie and "Finding Nemo" onto one CD each. You can tell that there are some artifacts when watching on the projector (Infocus X1), but watching on a standard TV looks simply amazing!