Quantcast KVCD: Step by Step Guides Needed - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
05-06-2002, 07:40 PM
Free Member

I obviously need more instruction than your average cave dweller. I have burned movies with various degrees of success. But still not one that approaches the results some of you have had. Clearly NOT a problem of the KVCD Template, but a problem caused by my newbie-ness.

I've had great advice and tips from a lot of you. Including Sefy, Kwag and Pnumonic.
I installed the new drivers you sent me Pnumonic. I did need them, you may have fixed the problem right there. But I thought that I must not be the only person who would benefit from a little personal coaching. Between Sefy's Guides, Kwags New Faq's and Pnumonics adeptness with the computer hardware, and all the others here who have helped out, I can't see why I cant get a perfect result. I mean, good picture, with no freezing. Sound which stays in synch and doesn't cut out.

So I have inserted the movie Life (eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence) into my dvd drive, opened "Smartripper" and ripped the dvd to Avi format 704 x 480.

I have saved the rip on drive E: which has 11 gb free. and has nothing else on it. There are 6 vob files and 1 info file.

What is my next move?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

05-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Free Member

Hi EightBall:

Follow Sefy's guide on DVD2AVI. That's your next step.
You will need to turn ON "Forced Film" in DVD2AVI.

kwag
05-07-2002, 04:41 PM
Free Member

Quote:
You will need to turn ON "Forced Film" in DVD2AVI
Ok. I opened DVD2Avi, selected the 1st vob file and it automatically included the rest. I checked to make sure "forced film" was checked-off, it was.

It seems to be doing it's thing, but my screen is black. Shouldn't I be able to see the movie?

Eightball
05-07-2002, 04:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightBall
Quote:
You will need to turn ON "Forced Film" in DVD2AVI
Ok. I opened DVD2Avi, selected the 1st vob file and it automatically included the rest. I checked to make sure "forced film" was checked-off, it was.

It seems to be doing it's thing, but my screen is black. Shouldn't I be able to see the movie?

Eightball
Hi EightBall:

Did you press "F5" after loading the VOB's to preview your movie for 30 seconds or so?.

If not, go back, and preview the file because if it says FILM 95% of more you HAVE to check "Forced Film"

kwag
05-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Did you press "F5" after loading the VOB's to preview your movie for 30 seconds or so?.

If not, go back, and preview the file because if it says FILM 95% of more you HAVE to check "Forced Film"
I just tried the process again, (loaded the vob's) and this time pressed f5 like you suggest and the picture did show up and looked very good. I let it run for a couple minutes and then turned it off. So I assume the DVDto AVI process is done correctly.

I'm not sure I explained myself correctly (or I don't understand the second half of what you just said) but the "forced film" option was already checked off when I ran DVD2Avi. When I re loaded it and pressed f5, a dialog box popped up and in it, it reads film 99%....

Is this right? do I move on to the next step, or do I need to redo something in this step?
05-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Quote:

I just tried the process again, (loaded the vob's) and this time pressed f5 like you suggest and the picture did show up and looked very good. I let it run for a couple minutes and then turned it off. So I assume the DVDto AVI process is done correctly.

I'm not sure I explained myself correctly (or I don't understand the second half of what you just said) but the "forced film" option was already checked off when I ran DVD2Avi. When I re loaded it and pressed f5, a dialog box popped up and in it, it reads film 99%....

Is this right? do I move on to the next step, or do I need to redo something in this step?
Erase your .d2v and your .wav file that were created from the previous DVD2AVI run.

Run your DVD2AVI project again. The "F5" was just a "Preview. It didn't save anything. This was used to see what type of video the DVD contains. Because your preview said FILM 99%, you have to CHECK "Forced Film. It must be on.

Try it again and come back here!,

kwag
05-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Erase your .d2v and your .wav file that were created from the previous DVD2AVI run.
Run your DVD2AVI project again. The "F5" was just a "Preview. It didn't save anything. This was used to see what type of video the DVD contains. Because your preview said FILM 99%, you have to CHECK "Forced Film. It must be on.
Try it again and come back here!,
I erased my .dv2v file and my .wav file as direceted.
I ran the project again. Again, when I checked the drop down boxes, "Forced Film" was already checked. When I selected "save project" from the drop down menu, the process started. I could see the video this time. However, the pop up box that opens STILL says Film 99%.

I want to check off the "forced Film" box, I really do. But once the movie starts, the drop down boxes are inaccessible. And as I said, it was already checked.

What am I doing wrong?
05-07-2002, 07:27 PM
Free Member

You don't check off "Forced Film" You have to leave it ON ( Checked )

The status windows is already telling you that the type of video is FILM.

And you HAVE to set "Forced Film" to ON.

So you're not doing anything wrong.
05-07-2002, 08:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
You don't check off "Forced Film" You have to leave it ON ( Checked ) <OK THATS WHAT I DID>The status windows is already telling you that the type of video is FILM.<OK> And you HAVE to set "Forced Film" to ON. <ARGHH! IT IS ON>><<AGREED? OR ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ANOTHER PLACE I HAVE TO SET IT AGAIN?>>
So you're not doing anything wrong
<<GOOD, SO WHAT THE "NEXT STEP?>>,
05-07-2002, 08:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Quote:
You don't check off "Forced Film" You have to leave it ON ( Checked ) <OK THATS WHAT I DID>The status windows is already telling you that the type of video is FILM.<OK> And you HAVE to set "Forced Film" to ON. <ARGHH! IT IS ON>><<AGREED? OR ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ANOTHER PLACE I HAVE TO SET IT AGAIN?>>
So you're not doing anything wrong
<<GOOD, SO WHAT THE "NEXT STEP?>>,
Load your .d2v with TMPEG as video source and load your .wav as audio source.

Now load the KVCD template.

In TMPEG go to Settings/Advanced and change Source aspect to whatever your movie is. If you don't remember, load up DVD2AVI and load your VOB', and just press F5. Look at the status screen and note if it's 4:3 or 16:9.

Get out of DVD2AVI and set your aspect in TMPEG. Dont save the project again.

Now select under Video arrange Method Center(Custom Size) 352 x 352

That's it!. Start encoding.

I suggest you encode a one minute clip and view your mpeg file in PowerDVD or WinDVD, just to be sure that the aspect looks correct. It should.

kwag
05-08-2002, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pnumonic Send a message via MSN to Pnumonic
hiya Eightball

Was beginning to think you'd given up m8

You cannot go wrong with the advice you've had, although reading it was funny but got there in the end .... im just glad i dont have all the fuss with PAL that you have with NTSC.
05-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
In TMPEG go to Settings/Advanced and change Source aspect to whatever your movie is. If you don't remember, load up DVD2AVI and load your VOB', and just press F5. Look at the status screen and note if it's 4:3 or 16:9. Get out of DVD2AVI and set your aspect in TMPEG. Dont save the project again. Now select under Video arrange Method Center(Custom Size) 352 x 352
That's it!. Start encoding.
I suggest you encode a one minute clip and view your mpeg file in PowerDVD or WinDVD, just to be sure that the aspect looks correct. It should.
Well, here are the results.

The video is perfect. The sound cuts out for a split second every few seconds. Seems like 3 and 6 second intervals. Just enough to drive you mad. The frustrating part is that I never had the sound problem before.
Just on the recent attempts. My earliest efforts produced better results, except for sound synch. Now the synch is good but it cuts out.
05-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Free Member

I just ran the process again, this time adjusting the min bit rate to 400, the cq to 74 and the quality to high from normal. It produced a 1.1 gb file which I burned onto 2 cd's. The video quality is still good but no better at 74 than at 70, the sound problem is identical. a "clitch every 3 to 6 seconds" It doesn't seem to be synching out. I think if not for the sound issue, this coulsd have been the perfect burn.

Eightball
05-09-2002, 12:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I just ran the process again, this time adjusting the min bit rate to 400, the cq to 74 and the quality to high from normal. It produced a 1.1 gb file which I burned onto 2 cd's. The video quality is still good but no better at 74 than at 70, the sound problem is identical. a "clitch every 3 to 6 seconds" It doesn't seem to be synching out. I think if not for the sound issue, this coulsd have been the perfect burn.

Eightball
Hi EightBall:

Make a small 3-5 minute clip with the standard KVCD template, but change the output resolution to 352x240 and the CQ to 74.

See if the audio problem goes away with this resolution.

kwag
05-09-2002, 03:01 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pnumonic Send a message via MSN to Pnumonic
Hi Eightball

What version of DVD2AVI are you using, some people get audio problems with the later versions. I still use 1.76 which you can get here :

http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/d...VD2AVI_176.zip

Seems like your almost there now ....
05-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Hi EightBall: Make a small 3-5 minute clip with the standard KVCD template, but change the output resolution to 352x240 and the CQ to 74.
See if the audio problem goes away with this resolution.
Thanks Kwag. Will do. Have a funeral today, and something brewing tommorrow. Will try to get it done this weekend and post result.

Quote:
What version of DVD2AVI are you using, some people get audio problems with the later versions. I still use 1.76
Thanks Pnumonic. I checked the version and it is 1.76.

Eightball
06-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Free Member

Hey kwag,

I was wondering if at this point would temporal smoother help at all, what is the effect it would have?

G
06-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Free Member

also, what would the script look like if i was gonna use 352x240 and cq 74 from a 16:9 source

g
06-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo!
also, what would the script look like if i was gonna use 352x240 and cq 74 from a 16:9 source

g
Hi G:

Here's what a script would look like for a 352x240:

LoadPlugin("C:\encoding\MPEG2DEC.dll")
mpeg2source("F:\THE_MATRIX_16X9LB_N_AMERICA\VIDEO_ TS\matrix.d2v")
BilinearResize(352,176,0,0,720,480)
TemporalSmoother(1,2)
AddBorders(0,32,0,32)

kwag
06-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Free Member

The previous post said:
"Here's what a script would look like for a 352x480: "

It's supposed to say 352x240. I fixed it.

kwag